Remedies for blackheads and pimples
- Steam your face with peppermint, sage, and fennel seeds in two quarts of water and a total of half a cup of herbs for eight minutes. When all the pores are open, go very quickly to a mirror and with very clean hands, gently dislodge the blackhead. You may need to steam a few days in a row before you can loosen the lodged material. Use a cold astringent, preferably refrigerated, immediately after treatment.
- Mix two tablespoons buttermilk with two tablespoons of fresh, mashed strawberries and a little Fuller’s earth to make into a paste. Apply and leave on for twenty minutes before rinsing.
- Lemons are degreasers. Apply fresh lemon directly to the blemish or dilute with water, or put in a spray bottle. Keep in the refrigerator and apply throughout the day.
- Apply raw onions directly to the blemish. Or soak a peeled and chopped onion in water for one day and apply the resulting onion toner to your skin after cleansing.
- Juice or take the liquid from one squeezed cucumber and add one tablespoon of vinegar, and use this for a perfect after-cleansing skin tonic. Apply with cotton ball or spray bottle.
- Make a tea of parsley and peppermint and apply as a toner.
- Using sour cream as a base for an herbal mask reputedly helps close large pores. Use two tablespoons sour cream with powdered parsley and peppermint, or any of the appropriate herbs for oily skin. Sour cream, like yogurt, is high in lactic acid, which is beneficial and has astringent properties that will help with blackheads.
- Mix two tablespoons oatmeal in a little water to make a paste and apply as a mask.
- If you like the feel of a scrub, take your regular cleanser and while you are washing your face just add a little corn meal or salt to get the grainy feel. That way you can have a scrub handy any time. Don’t add it to the entire container; just add it to your hand at the time of each individual cleansing.
Use a good astringent/toner after each cleansing; either use one of the simple recipes above or you can buy a few high-quality astringents/toner. Our Balancing Facial Toner works very well!